vande 'ham sri-guroh sri-yuta-pada-kamalam sri-gurun vaishnavams ca
sri-rupam sāgrajātam saha-gana-raghunāthānvitam tam sa jivam
sādvaitam sāvadhutam parijana-sahitam krishna-caitanya-devam
sri-rādha-krishna-pādān saha-gana-lalitā- sri-visākhānvitāms ca
om ajnāna timirānthasya jnānānjana salākayā
caksur unmilitam yena tasmai sri gurave namah
nama om visnu pādāya rādhikāyai priyātmane
sri srimad bhaktivedānta nārāyana iti nāmine
nama om vishnu-pādāya krsna-preshthāya bhu-tale
srimate bhaktivedānta-svāmin iti nāmine
namas te sarasvate deve gaura-vāni-pracārine
nama om vishnu-pādāya krsna-preshthāya bhu-tale
srimate bhaktisiddhānta-sarasvati iti nāmine
krsna-sambandha-vijnāna-dāyine prabhave namah
sri-gaura-karunā-sakti-vigrahāya namo 'stu te
namas te gaura-vāni-sri-murtaye dina-tārine
namo gaura-kisorāya sākshad-vairāgya-murtaye
vipralambha-rasāmbhode pādāmbujāya te namah
namo bhakti vinodāya sac-cid-ānanda-nāmine
gaura-sakti-svarupāya rupānuga-varāya te
gaurā virbhāva-bhumes tvam nirdeshtā sajjana-priyah
vaishnava-sārvabhaumah shri-jagannāthāya te namah
vānchā-kalpa tarubhyas ca krpā-sindhubhya eva ca
patitānām pāvanebhyo vaishna vebhyo namo namah
namo mahā-vadānyāya krsna-prema-pradāya te
krsnāya krsna-caitanya-nāmne gaura-tvishe namah
he krishna karunā-sindho dina-bandho jagat-pate
gopesa gopikā-kānta rādha-kānta namo 'stu te
tapta-kāncana-gaurāngi radhe vrindāvanesvari
vrishabhānu-sute devi pranamāmi hari-priye
jayatām suratau pangor mama manda-mater gati
sri sri rādha-srila-govinda-devau
preshthā libhih sevya mānau smarāmi
srimān rāsa-rasārambhi vamsi-vata-tata-sthitah
karshan venu-svanair gopir gopināthāh sriye 'stu nah
vṛndāyai tulasī-devyai priyāyai keśavasya ca
kṛṣṇa-bhakti-prade devī satya vatyai namo namaḥ
panca-tattvātmakam krishnam bhakta-rupa-svarupakam
bhaktāvatāram bhaktākhyam namāmi bhakta-saktikam
jaya sri-krishna-caitanya prabhu nityānanda
sri-advaita gadādhara srivāsādi-gaura-bhakta-vrinda
hare krsna hare krsna, krsna krsna hare hare
hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare
bando muñi sāvadhāna mate
jāhāra prasāde bhāi, e bhava toriyā jāi,
kṛṣṇa-prāpti hoy jāhā ha'te
guru-mukha-padma-vākya, cittete koribo aikya,
ār nā koriho mane āśā
śrī-guru-caraṇe rati, ei se uttama-gati,
je prasāde pūre sarva āśā
cakṣu-dān dilo jei, janme janme prabhu sei,
divya jñān hṛde prokāśito
prema-bhakti jāhā hoite, avidyā vināśa jāte,
vede gāy jāhāra carito
śrī-guru karuṇā-sindhu, adhama janāra bandhu,
lokanāth lokera jīvana
hā hā prabhu koro doyā, deho more pada-chāyā,
ebe jaśa ghuṣuk tribhuvana
vaiṣṇava caraṇa reṇu, bhūṣaṇa koriyā tanu,
yāhā hoite anubhava hoy
mārjana hoy bhajana, sādhu sańge anukṣaṇa,
ajñāna avidyā parājaya
jaya sanātana rūpa, prema bhakti rasa kūpa
yugala ujjvalamaya tanu
yāhāra prasāde loka, pāsarilo sab śoka,
prakaṭa kalapa taru janu
prema bhakti rīti yoto, nija granthe suvekata
likhiyāchen dui mahāśaya
yāhāra śravaṇa hoite, premānande bhāse cite,
yugala madhura rasāśraya
yugala kiśora prema, lakṣa bāṇa yeno hema
heno dhana prakāśilo yārā
jaya rūpa sanātana, deho more prema dhana
se ratana more gole hārā
bhāgavata śāstra marma, nava vidhā bhakti dharma,
sadāi koribo susevana
anya devāśraya nāi, tomāre kohilo bhāi,
ei bhakti parama bhajana
sādhu śāstra guru vākya, hṛdoye koriyā aikya,
satata bhāsibo prema mājhe
karmī jñānī bhakti hīna, ihāke koribo bhina,
narottama ei tattva gāje
1) The lotus feet of our spiritual master are the only way by which we can attain pure devotional service. I bow to his lotus feet with great awe and reverence. By his grace one can cross the ocean of material suffering and obtain the mercy of Krsna.
2) My only wish is to have my consciousness purified by the words emanating from his lotus mouth. Attachment to his lotus feet is the perfection that fulfills all desires.
3) He opens my darkened eyes and fills my heart with transcendental knowledge. He is my Lord birth after birth. From him ecstatic prema emanates; by him ignorance is destroyed. The Vedic scriptures sing of his character.
4) Our spiritual master is the ocean of mercy, the friend of the poor, and the lord and master of the devotees. O Lokanatha Goswami! O master! Be merciful unto me. Give me the shade of your lotus feet. Your fame is spread all over the three worlds.
5) By making the dust of the Vaisnavas' feet the ornament of my body, ecstatic love comes. Washing the Vaisnavas' lotus feet is my method of worship. By always associating with the Vaisnavas, I shall overcome the darkness of ignorance.
6) O Srila Sanatana Gosvami and Srila Rupa Gosvami, who are two deep wells of the nectar of pure love, two personifications of the splendid nectar of the Divine Couple, and two desire trees by whose mercy the entire world is free from suffering, all glories to you!
7) In your books, you two great souls clearly described prema-bhakti. You are reservoirs of the sweet nectar of the Divine Couple. Hearing about you brings bliss to the heart. Their sweet mellows are my shelter.
8) You are fabulously wealthy, possessing ecstatic love for the youthful Divine Couple, a love more precious than gold purified in ten thousand flames. O Rupa and Sanatana Gosvami, all glories to you! I beg you, please give me in charity some of these jewel necklaces.
9) I shall eternally engage in the nine-fold process of devotional service, which is the essential message of Srimad-Bhagavatam, and I shall not worship the demigods. O brother, I say to you: Devotional service is the most exalted kind of worship.
10) Making the words of the guru, sadhus and sastras one with my heart, I constantly float and swim in the ocean of pure love. I am different from the karmis and jnanis, who have no devotion for Krsna. Narottama speaks the truth.
Guru deva Guru Deva Guru Deva Guru Deva
Guru carana kamala bhaja man
Guru-krpa vina nahi koi sadhana-bal
Bhaja man bhaja anukshan
Milata nahi(n) aisa durlabha janama
Bhramatahu(n) caudaha bhuvana
Kisi ko milte hai(n) aho bhagya se
Hari-bhakto ke darasan
Krishna-krpa ki ananda murti
Bhakti bhava prem ñ tina prakasata
Sri guru patita pavan
Sruti smrti aur puranana
mahi Kino spashta praman
Tana-mana-jivana guru-pade arpana
Sri harinama ratan
Guru deva Guru Deva Guru Deva Guru Deva
kṛpā-bindu diyā, koro' ei dāse,
tṛṇāpekhā ati hīna
sakala sahane, bala diyā koro',
sakale sammāna korite śakati,
deho' nātha! jathājatha
tabe to' gāibo, hari-nāma-sukhe,
aparādha ha 'be hata
kabe heno kṛpā, labhiyā e jana,
kṛtārtha hoibe, nātha!
śakti-buddhi-hīna, āmi ati dīna,
koro' more ātma-sātha
jogyatā-vicāre, kichu nāhi pāi,
karuṇā nā hoile, kāndiyā kāndiyā,
prāṇa nā rākhibo āra
1) Gurudeva, O spiritual master! Give to this servant just one drop of mercy. I am lower than a blade of grass. Give me all help. Give me strength. Let me be as you are, without desires or aspirations.
2) I offer you all respects, for thus I may have the energy to know you correctly. Then, by chanting the holy name in great ecstasy, all my offenses will cease.
3) When will such mercy fall to this one who is weak and devoid of intelligence? Allow me to be with you.
4) If you examine me, you will find no qualities. Your mercy is all that I am made of. If you are not merciful unto me, I can only weep, and I will not be able to maintain my life.
gurudeva, kṛpā karke mujhko apanā lenā
maiń śaraṇa paḍā terī, caraṇoń meń jagaha denā
karuṇā-nidhi nāma terā, karuṇā barasao tum
soye huye bhagya ko, he nātha jagāo tum
merī nāva bhãvara dole, use pāra lagā denā
tum sukh ke sāgara ho, bhakti ke sahāre ho
mere man meń samāe ho, mujhe prāṇoń se pyāre ho
nita mālā japū terī, mere doṣa bhulā denā
maiń santoń kā sevaka hūń, guru caraṇoń kā dāsa hūń
nahīń nātha bhulānā mujhe, is jaga meń akelā hūń
tere dvār kā bhikhārī hūń, nahīń dil se bhulā denā
1) Gurudeva, bestow your mercy on me and accept me as your own. I have taken shelter of you. Please give me a place at your lotus feet.
2) Please shower your mercy on me because you are renowned as a storehouse of mercy. O my Lord, only then will my sleeping fortune wake up. My boat is caught in a whirlpool. Please take me across this turbulent ocean.
3) You are the ocean of happiness and shelter for bhakti. You are dearer to me than my life and are always on my mind. I chant your name every day. Please ignore my faults.
4) I am a servant of the Vaisnavas and of the lotus feet of my Guru. Please do not forget me because I am all alone, O Lord. I am a beggar at your door. Please do not ignore me at heart.
kṛpā koro vaiṣṇava ṭhākura, sambandha jāniyā
bhajite bhajite, abhimāna hau dūra
'āmi to vaiṣṇava', e buddhi hoile, amānī nā ho'bo āmi
pratiṣthāśā āsi', hṛdoya dūṣibe, hoibo niraya-gāmī
tomāra kińkora, āpane jānibo, 'guru'-abhimāna tyaji'
tomāra ucchiṣṭha, pada-jala-reṇu, sadā niṣkapaṭe bhaji
'nije śreṣṭha' jani, ucchiṣṭthādi dāne, ho'be abhimāna bhāra
tāi śiṣya taba, thākiyā sarvadā, nā loibo pūjā kā'r
amānī mānada, hoile kīrtane, adhikāra dibe tumi
tomāra caraṇe, niṣkapaṭe āmi, kāńdiyā luṭibo bhūmi
1) O Vaisnava Thakura! Please give me your mercy – knowledge of my relationship with Bhagavan and the ability to do bhajana, sending my false ego far away.
2) If I think "I am a Vaisnava," then I will never become humble. My heart will become contaminated with the hope of receiving honor from others, and I will surely go to hell.
3) Give me the mercy that I can renounce the false conception of my being guru and can be your servant. Let me accept without duplicity your remnants and your foot-bath water.
4) By thinking that I am superior (guru) and giving my remnants to others, I will bring about my destruction. Let me always identify as your disciple and not accept any worship or praise from others.
5) In this way I can renounce the desire for honor for myself and can offer respect to others. Weeping sincerely at your lotus feet and rolling on the ground, I pray that you will give me the ability to chant nama purely.
nadīyā-godrume nityānanda mahājana
patiyāche nām-haṭṭa jīvera kāraṇa
(śraddhāvān jan he, śraddhāvān jan he)
prabhura ājñāy, bhāi, māgi ei bhikṣā
bolo `kṛṣṇa,’ bhajo kṛṣṇa, koro kṛṣṇa-śikṣā
aparādha-śūnya ho’ye loho kṛṣṇa-nām
kṛṣṇa mātā, kṛṣṇa pitā, kṛṣṇa dhana-prān
kṛṣṇaera saḿsāra koro chāḍi’ anācār
jīve doyā, kṛṣṇa-nām—sarva-dharma-sār
1) In the land of Nadiya, on the island of Godruma, the magnanimous Lord Nityananda has opened up the Marketplace of the Holy Name, meant for the deliverance of all fallen souls.
2) O people of faith! O people of faith! By the order of Lord Gauranga, O brothers, I beg these three requests of you: Chant "Krsna!", worship Krsna, and teach others about Krsna.
3) Being careful to remain free of offenses; just take the holy name of Lord Krsna. Krsna is your mother, Krsna is your father, and Krsna is the treasure of your life.
4) Giving up all sinful activities, carry on your worldly duties only in relation to Lord Krsna. The showing of compassion to other souls by loudly chanting the holy name of Krsna is the essence of all forms of religion.
'gaurāńga' bolite habe pulaka-śarīra
'hari hari' bolite nayane ba' be nīra
āra kabe nitāi-cānder koruṇā hoibe
saḿsāra-bāsanā mora kabe tuccha ha'be
viṣaya chāriyā kabe śuddha ha 'be mana
kabe hāma herabo śrī-bṛndābana
rūpa-raghunātha-pade hoibe ākuti
kabe hāma bujhabo se jugala-pīriti
rūpa-raghunātha-pade rahu mora āśa
prārthanā koroye sadā narottama-dāsa
1) When will that opportune moment come to us, when there will be shivering of the body as soon as we chant Lord Gauranga's name? While chanting Hare Krsna, when will there be tears in the eyes?
2) When will I obtain the mercy of Lord Nityananda-candra? When, by His mercy will the desire for material enjoyment become very insignificant?
3) When the mind is completely purified, being freed from material anxieties and desires, then I shall be able to understand Vrndavana and the conjugal love of Radha and Krsna, and then my spiritual life will be successful.
4) When shall I be very much eager to study the books left by the Six Gosvami's, headed by Srila Rupa Gosvami and Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami? By their instruction I shall be able to properly understand the loving affairs of Radha and Krsna.
5) My only aspiration is to attain the lotus feet of the Six Gosvamis headed by Srila Rupa Gosvami and Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami. Narottama dasa constantly prays to attain their lotus feet.
gaurā pahu nā bhajiyā goinu
prema-ratana-dhana helāya hārāinu
adhane yatana kari dhana teyāginu
āpana karama-doṣe āpani ḍubinu
sat-sańga chāḍi' kainu asate vilāsa
te-kāraṇe lāgilo ye karma-bandha-phāńsa
viṣaya-viṣama-viṣa satata khāinu
gaura-kīrtana-rase magana nā hainu
keno vā āchaye prāṇa ki sukha pāiyā
narottam dās keno nā gelo mariyā
1) I did not worship Lord Gauranga Prabhu and thus I became full of suffering. I refused to accept the treasure of pure love of Krsna, and thus I became lost.
2) I reject the treasure of love of Krsna and deliberately struggled to become poor. I dived into a host of sinful deeds.
3) I rejected the association of the saintly devotees, and instead tried to enjoy among the impious non-devotees. In this way I became caught in the noose of karma.
4) I continually drank the virulent poison of sense-gratification. I refused to swim in the nectar of Lord Caitanya's sankirtana movement.
5) Why do I stay alive? What happiness do I have? Why did Narottama dasa not die long ago?
‘hari’ bole’ modera gaura elo
elo re gaurāńga-cānda preme elothelo
nitāi-adwaita-sańge godrume paśilo
sańkīrtana-rase mete nām bilāilo
nāmera hāṭe ese preme jagat bhāsāilo
godruma-bāsīr āj duḥkha dūre gelo
bhakta-vṛnda-sańge āsi’ hāṭa jāgāilo
nadīyā bhramite gorā elo nāmer hāṭe
gaura elo hāṭe, sańge nitāi elo hāṭe
nāce mātoyārā nitāi godrumera māṭhe
jagat mātāy nitāi premera mālasāṭe
(torā dekhe’ jā’ re)
adwaitādi bhakta-vṛnda nāce ghāṭe ghāṭe
palāya duranta kali poḍiyā bibhrāṭe
ki sukhe bhāsilo jīva gorācānder nāṭe
dekhiyā śuniyā pāṣaṇḍīr buka phāṭe
(Refrain) Our Lord Gaura came chanting "Hari! Hari!"
1) Lord Gauranga-canda came looking very disheveled, as if mad, due to ecstatic love of God, and along with Lord Nityananda and Advaita Acarya, He entered the land of Godruma.
2) Deeply absorbed in the intoxicating mellows of sankirtan, He distributed the holy name. Having come to the Marketplace of the Holy Name, He caused the whole universe to swim in ecstatic love of God.
3) Today all the miseries of the residents of Godruma-dvipa have gone far away, for Lord Gauranga, having come here along with all His devotees, caused the Marketplace of the Holy Name to appear here in Godruma.
4) Wandering all over the land of Nadiya, Lord Gaura came to the Marketplace of the Holy Name. Lord Gaura came to the Marketplace along with Nitai.
5) Maddened with ecstasy, Lord Nityananda dances in the fields of Godruma. Due to ecstatic love of God, He moves His powerful arms like a challenging wrestler and thus overwhelms the universe in ecstasy.
6) (Oh, all of you please go and see!) The Vaisnavas headed by Advaita Acarya are dancing along the banks of the Ganga from one bathing ghat to the next! At such a sight as this, the wicked personality Kali falls into great danger and thus runs for his life.
7) In what indescribable happiness did all living beings swim while Lord Gauracandra was dancing? By seeing and hearing of such pastimes, the hearts of the atheists break.
emana gaurāńga vinā nāhi āra
hena avatāra, ha’be ki ha’yeche,
duramati ati, patita pāṣaṇḍī,
prāṇe nā mārila kā’re
harināma diyā, hṛdaya śodhila,
yāci giyā ghare ghare
bhava-viriñcira, vāñchita je prema,
jagate phelila ḍhāli’
kāńgāle pāiyā, khāila nāciyā,
hāsiyā kādiyā, preme gaḍāgaḍi,
pulake vyāpila ańga
caṇḍāle-brāhmaṇe, kare kolākuli,
kabe vā chila e rańga
dekhiyā śamana, tarāsa pāiyā,
kapāṭa hānila dvāre
e tina bhuvana, ānande bharila,
uṭhila mańgala sora
kahe premānanda, emana gaurāńge,
rati nā janmila mora
1) There is no one like Gauranga! No other incarnation past, present or future preached such a rare form of prema. (He never considered any offense. Therefore, He is even more merciful than Krsna).
2) He did not slay the very wicked or the fallen atheists (instead He changed their mood). Giving out the holy names, He went from door to door, purifying everyone’s heart.
3) Even Brahma and Sankara hankered for that divine love which Gauranga is pouring over the whole world. When the miserable and wretched people receive this prema, they begin to dance and clap their hands with joy.
4) Laughing and weeping, their voices choked with love and their hairs standing on end, even the candalas (dog-eaters) and brahmanas embrace one another [being freed from all material designations]. When has such a drama ever been seen before?
5) Playing loudly on mrdanga and karatalas, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His party roamed everywhere, chanting Krsna’s names. Seeing the sankirtana party, Yamaraja (death personified) became afraid and closed his door.
6) All the three worlds become filled with bliss by the auspicious uproar of the kirtana. Premananda dasa laments bitterly, “Oh, that Gauranga is so merciful, yet rati for Him has not appeared in my heart.”
jīva jāgo, jīv jāgo, gauracānda bole
kota nidrā jāo māyā-piśācīra kole
bhajibo boliyā ese saḿsāra-bhitare
bhuliyā rohile tumi avidyāra bhare
tomāre loite āmi hoinu avatāra
āmi binā bandhu āra ke āche tomāra
enechi auṣadhi māyā nāśibāro lāgi'
hari-nāma mahā-mantra lao tumi māgi'
bhakativinoda prabhu-caraṇe pariyā
sei hari-nāma-mantra loilo māgiyā
1) Lord Gauranga is calling, "Wake up, sleeping souls! Wake up, sleeping souls! How long will you sleep in the lap of the witch called Maya?
2) You have forgotten the way of devotional service and are lost in the world of birth and death.
3) I have descended just to save you; other than Myself you have no friend in this world.
4) I have brought the medicine that will wipe out the disease of illusion from which you are suffering. Take this maha-mantra-Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/Hare Rama, Hare Rama Rama Rama, Hare Hare."
5) Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura says: "I fall at the Lord's feet, having taken this mahā-mantra."
nagara bhramiyā āmāra gaura elo ghare
gaura elo ghare āmāra nitāi elo ghare
pāpī tāpī uddhāra diyā gaura elo ghare
pāpī tāpī uddhāra diyā nitāi elo ghare
nāma prema bilāiya gaura elo ghare
nāma prema bilāiya nitāi elo ghare
dhūla jhari’ śacī-mātā gaura kole kare
dhūla jhari’ padmāvatī nitāi kole kare
1) After roaming through the towns and villages, my Gauranga and my Nityananda came back home.
2) My Gaura-Nitai magnanimously delivered so many sinners suffering from the three-fold miseries and then came home.
3) Roaming about, Gaura and Nitai distributed prema through harinama, and then They returned home.
4) Gaura’s body was covered with dust. Seeing this, Saci Mata’s heart filled with gaura-prema. She removed the dust and took Him on her lap. Similarly, Padmavati-devi removed the dust from Nitai’s body and took Him in her lap.
sakhe kalaya gauram udāram
nindita hāṭaka kānti kalevara
garvita māraka māram
madhukara rañjita mālatī maṇḍita
jita-ghana kuñcita keśam
tilaka vinindita śaśadhara rupaka
bhuvana manohara veśam
madhu madhurasmita lobhita tanubhṛta
anupama bhāva vilāsam
nikhila nija jana mohita mānasa
vikathita gada gada bhāṣam
paramā kiñcana kiñcana naragaṇa
karuṇā vitaraṇa śīlam
1) My friend! That most magnanimous Sri Gauranga Mahaprabhu has appeared as the rising sun to dispel the darkness of this age Kali.
2) His brilliant golden complexion shames the bright luster of gold, and His beauty defeats the pride of Cupid. His curly black hair is decorated with a garland made of malati flowers, and bumble bees fly around them.
3) His beautiful moonlike face is decorated with tilaka, and His dressing enchants the whole world. His sweet smile delivers all embodied souls from the mire of material existence, by generating in them greed for love of Godhead. He displays unique ecstatic symptoms.
4) He Hankering to relish the unparalleled pastimes of the greatly munificent Sri Gaurasundara, who distributes mercy in the form of nama-prema to the supremely fortunate niskincana souls (those whose only possession is love of Krishna), the fallen and foolish Radha-mohana sings in a mood of great distress
nācata śrī-hari-kīrtana meń
bhāle candana tilaka manohara
alakā śobhe kapolana meń
śire cūḍā daraśi bāle
vana-phula-mālā hiyāpara dole
pahirana pīta-paṭāmbara śobhe
nūpura ruṇu-jhunu caraṇo meń
rādhā-kṛṣṇa eka tanu hai
nidhuvana-mājhe baḿśī bajāy
viśvarūpa ki prabhujī sahi
āota prakaṭahi nadīyā meń
koi gāyata hai rādhā-kṛṣṇa nām
koi gāyata hai hari-guṇa gān
mańgala-tāna mṛdańga rasāla
bājata hai koi rańgaṇa meń
1) This gorgeous boy is the darling child of mother Saci, dancing in the kirtana of chanting Lord Hari’s names. His forehead is adorned with drawings of sandalwood paste, and His enchanting locks of hair are shining in a splendorous fashion as they bounce upon His cheeks.
2) His hair is wrapped in a topknot, and a garland of forest flowers sways upon His chest. Wearing brilliant yellow silken garments, He dances with ankle bells tinkling upon His feet.
3) Sri Sri Radha and Krsna have become joined in one body, and together They play a flute within the grove of Nidhuvana. In this mood, the Lord of Visvarupa has come and manifested Himself in the town of Nadiya.
4) Someone in that kirtana sings the names of Radha and Krsna, someone else sings songs of Lord Hari’s transcendental qualities, while others play the auspicious rhythms of the sweet and relishable mrdanga drums. All this takes place in that spectacular performance.
vara-nija-kāntyā jagatām aciram
rādhā-mohana kalpita vilobham
1) I offer prayers to the lotus feet of Visvambhara, who cuts away the defective consciousness of those who are influenced by Kali-yuga.
2) With the fragrance of His supremely sweet philosophy, name, qualities, etc., Mahaprabhu attracts His honeybee-like followers. By His causeless mercy, He removes the anguish of separation of His dear associates (like Advaita Acarya).
3) For a long time the hearts of the jivas in this world have been afflicted with ignorance due to maya, which He instantly destroys with His brilliant effulgence.
4) Radha-mohana, having become greatly attracted to Mahaprabhu whose unmatched splendor is always radiating out, is broadcasting His glories to all.
devādi-deva gauracandra gaurīdāsa-mandire
nityānanda-sańge gaura ambikāte vihare
cāru-aruṇa-guñjā-hāra hṛt-kamale je dhare
viriñci-sevya-pāda-padma lakṣmī-sevya sādare
tapta-hema ańga-kānti prātaḥ-aruṇa-ambare
rādhikānurāga prema-bhakti vāñchā je kare
śacī-suta gauracandra ānandita antare
pāṣaṇḍa-khaṇḍa nityānanda-sańge rańge vihare
nityānanda gauracandra gaurīdāsa-mandire
gaurīdāsa karata āśa sarva-jīva uddhāre
1) The Lord of lords, Sri Gauracandra, along with Nityananda Prabhu is pleasurably engaged in His pastimes in Gauridasa Pandita’s house in Ambika Kalna.
2) Gaurasundara adorns Himself with a very beautiful, red gunja-mala, which falls over His lotus heart. Brahma and Laksmi worship His lotus feet with great respect.
3) His body shines brilliantly like molten gold, and His cloth is saffron like the rising sun. He desires that prema-bhakti like the anuraga of Srimati Radhika.
4) The son of Saci, Gaurasundara, who is so joyful inside, is roaming about with Nityananda Prabhu, purifying the hearts of the atheists.
5) Both Nityananda and Gaurasundara are in the house of Gauridasa, who hopes that They will deliver all jivas.
jaya jaya jagannātha sacīra nandan
tribhūvana kore jār caraṇa vandan
nadīyā nagare daṇḍa-kamaṇḍalu-kar
keho bole purabete rāvaṇa badhilā
goloker vaibhava lilā prakāśa korilā
śri-rādhār bhāve ebe gorā avatār
hare kṛṣṇa nām gaura korilā pracār
vāsudeva ghoṣa bole kori joḍa hāt
jei gaura sei kṛṣṇa sei jagannāth
1) All glories, all glories to the dear son of Jagannatha Misra and Saci Devi! All the three worlds offer prayers unto His lotus feet.
2) In Nilacala He holds the conch shell, disc, club, and lotus flower, while in the town of Nadiya He holds a sannyasi staff and water pot.
3) It is said that in olden times, as Lord Ramacandra, He killed the demon Ravana. Then later, as Lord Krsna, He revealed the splendrously opulent pastimes of Goloka.
4) It is He who has come. He has come! Oh, from Vraja He has come to Nadiya. Accepting the mood and luster of Sri Radha, He has come from Vraja to Nadiya. He has come! Now Lord Govinda, the cowherd boy, has come as Lord Gauranga. He has come distributing the Hare Krsna Mahamantra!
5) Vasudeva Ghosa says with folded hands, “He who is Gaura is He who is Krishna is He who is Jagannatha.”
āmāra samāna heena nāhi e samsāre
Asthira ha'yechi podi' bhava pārābāre
Kuladevi yogamāya more krpā kori'
AvaraNa sambaribe kabe visvodari
Sunechi āgame-vede mahimā tomāra
Sri krsNa-vimukhe bāndhi' korāo samsāra
Sri-krsna-sāmukhya jāra bhāgya-krame haya
Tā're mukti diyā karo' asoka abhaya
E dāse janāni! kori' akaitava dayā
Vrndāvane deho sthāna tumi yogamāya
Tomāke langhiyā kothā jeeve krsna pāya
Krsna rāsa prakatilo tomāra krpāya
Tumi krsna-sahacari jagata-janani
Tumi dekhāile more krsNa-cintāmaNi
Nishkapata ha'ye mātā cāo mora pāne
VaishNave visvāsa vrddhi ho'ka prati-kshaNe
VaishNava-caraNa binā bhava-pārābara
bhakativinoda nāre hoibāre pāra
1) The likes of such a lowly soul as me is not to be found anywhere else in this world. Thus I have become most agitated due to falling into this vast ocean of material existence.
2) Oh Yogamaya! When will you show mercy to me by lifting up the curtain of illusion with which you shroud the universe in your external form of Mahamaya? You are known as Kuladevi, the traditional worship-able Goddess of all Vaisnavas dynasties.
3) I have heard of your glories and activities from the Vedic literatures, You take all those souls who are averse to Krsna and bind them within the material world.
4) To that person whose good fortune gradually dawns and allow him to again become favorably disposed to Krsna, you award him with liberation and make him free from all grief and fear.
5) Oh my dear Mother! Showing your causeless mercy to your servant give me a place in Vrndavana, for you are Yogamaya Herself.
6) Without complying with you, no soul at any time can get Krsna, for the manifestation of Krsna's pastimes is all enacted only by your mercy.
7) You are the devoted follower of Lord Krsna, and you are the mother of the universe. You have shown to me the transcendental touchstone of Krsna consciousness.
8) My dear Mother, I sincerely wish that you will let my faith in the Vaisnavas increase at every moment.
9) Without the lotus feet of the devotees of the Lord, Bhaktivinoda is not able to cross to the other side of this ocean of material existence.
Author: Srila Bhakti Vinod Thakur
narahari nāma-antare, achu bhāvaha,
habe-bhava sāgare pāra
dharare-śravaṇe nara, hari nāma sādare,
cintā-maṇi uha sāra
yadi kṛta pāpī ā-,dare kabhu mantraka
rāja śravaṇe kare pāna
śrī-krṣṇa caitanya, bale haya tachu dur-
gama pāpa-tāpa saha trāṇa
karaha-gaura-guru- vaiṣṇava āśraya,
laha narahari nāma hārar
saṁsāre nāma la-i, sukṛti ha-iyā,
tare-āpā mara durā cāra
ithe kṛta viṣaya, tṛṣṇa pahuṁ-nāma,
hārāyo dhāraṇe śrama tāra
ku-tṛṣṇa jagadā, nanda kṛta-kalmaṣa,
kumati ra-hala kārāgāra
(Gokul Bhajan added)
sri krsna caitanyā, prabhu nityānandā
sri advaita gada-dārā
sri vā sādi, gaura bhakta vrindā
iti pancha tattva mantra
hare krsna hare krsna,
krsna krsna hare hare
hare rama hare rama,
rama rama hare hare
........ Meaning .......
1. "Meditate upon the name “Narahari” (lion among men) belonging to Gauranga. By doing so you will cross over the ocean of birth and death. Hold these names close to your ear with great respect, for it is the essential touchstone of life."
2. "If a sinful person drinks the nectar of this name through his ear, then by the mercy of Sri Chaitanya his sins and miseries will be driven away completely."
3. "Taking shelter of Gauranga, guru and the vaiṣṇavas, accept the garland of the names of Mahaprabhu. Uttering these names and gaining all good fortune, even the lowest of sinful people get delivered."
4. "By accepting the garland of these names, the fatigue and anxiety of material desires will be driven away. Alas! The corrupt-minded sinner named Jagadananda could not take advantage of these names and thus remains trapped in the prison of this world."
5. "His pancha tattva mantra is: 'sri krsna caitanyā, prabhu nityānandā, sri advaita gadadārā, sri vāsādi, gaura bhakta vrindā'"
6. The maha mantra is: 'hare krsna hare krsna, krsna krsna hare hare, hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare'
Ohe! vaishnava thākura, doyāra sāgara,
E dāse korunā kori
Diyā pada-chāyā, śodho he āmāya,
Tomāra carana dhori
Chaya bega domi', chaya dosha śodhi',
Chaya guna deho' dāse
Chaya sat-sańga, deho' he āmāre,
Bosechi sańgera āśe
Ekākī āmāra, nāhi pāya bala,
Tumi krpā kori', śraddhā-bindu diyā,
Krsna se tomāra, kṛṣṇa dīte pāro,
Tomāra śakati āche
Aami to' kāńgāla, 'krsna' 'krsna' boli',
Dhāi tava pāche pāche
------------------- Meaning --------------
1) O venerable Vaisnava, devotee of Krsna! O ocean of mercy, be merciful unto your servant. Give me the shade of your lotus feet and purify me. I hold on to your lotus feet.
2) Teach me to control my six passions; rectify my six faults, bestow upon me the six qualities, and offer unto me the six kinds of holy association.*
3) I do not find the strength to carry on alone the sankirtana of the holy name of Hari. Please bless me by giving me just one drop of faith with which to obtain the great treasure of the holy name of Krsna.
4) Krsna is yours. You have the power to give Him to me. I am simply your servant running behind you shouting, "Krsna! Krsna!"
Śrī kṛṣṇa-caitanya prabhu dayā kara more
Tomā’ vinā ke dayālu jagat-saṃsāre
Patita-pāvana-hetu tava avatāra
Mo sama patita prabhu nā pāibe āra
Hā hā prabhu nityānanda premānanda-sukhī
Kṛpāvalokana kara āmi baḍa duḥkhī
Dayā kara sītā-pati advaita gosāi
Tava kṛpā-bale pāi caitanya-nitāi
Hā hā svarūpa, sanātana, rūpa, raghunātha
Bhaṭṭa-yuga , śrī jīva, hā prabhu lokanātha
Dayā kara śrī ācārya prabhu śrīnivāsa
Rāmacandra-saṅga mage narottama dāsa
............... Meaning ........................
My dear Lord Caitanya, please be merciful to me, because who can be more merciful than Your Lordship within these three worlds?
Your incarnation is just to reclaim the conditioned, fallen souls, but I assure You that You will not find a greater fallen soul than me. Therefore, my claim is first.
My dear Lord Nityananda, You are always joyful in spiritual bliss. Since You always appear very happy, I have come to You because I am most unhappy. If You kindly put Your glance over me, then I may also become happy.
My dear Advaita Prabhu, husband of Sita, You are so kind. Please be merciful to me. If You are kind to me, naturally Lord Caitanya and Nityananda will also be kind to me.
Gaura’s love embodiment is shown by Gadadhara Pandita. Srinivasa Pandita and Haridasa Thakura are the ocean of mercy.
O Svarupa Damodara, personal secretary of Lord Caitanya, O six Gosvamis O Sri Rupa Gosvami, Sri Sanatana Gosvami, Sri Raghunatha Bhatta Gosvami, Sri Gopala Bhatta Gosvami, Sri Jiva Gosvami, and Sri Raghunatha dasa Gosvami! O Lokanatha Gosvami, my beloved spiritual master! Narottama dasa also prays for your mercy.
O Srinivasa Acarya, successor to the six Gosvamis! Please be merciful to me. Narottama dasa always desires the company of Ramacandra Cakravarti.
je ānilo prema-dhana korunā pracur
heno prabhu kothā gelā ācārya thākur
kāhā mora swarūp rūpa kāhā sanātan
kāhā dāsa raghunātha patita-pāvan
kāhā mora bhatta-yuga kāhā kavirāj
eka-kāle kothā gelā gorā nata-rāj
pāsāne kutibo māthā anale paśibo
gaurāńga gunera nidhi kothā gele pābo
se-saba sańgīra sańge je koilo vilās
se-sańga nā pāiyā kānde narottama dās
............. Meaning ........................
He, who brought the treasure of divine love and who was filled with compassion and mercy - where has such a personality as Advaita Acarya gone?
Where are my Svarupa Damodara and Rupa Gosvami? Where is Sanatana? Where is Raghunatha Dasa, the savior of the fallen?
Where are my Raghunatha Bhatta and Gopala Bhatta, and where is Krsnadasa Kaviraja? Where did Lord Gauranga, the great dancer, suddenly go?
I will smash my head against the rock and enter into the fire. Where will I find Lord Gauranga, the reservoir of all wonderful qualities?
Being unable to obtain the association of Lord Gauranga accompanied by all of these devotees in whose association He performed His pastimes, Narottama Dasa simply weeps.
yań kali rūpa śarīra na dharata
tań vraja-prema-mahānidhi kuṭharīka, kon kapāṭa ughāḍata
nīra-kṣīra-haḿsana, pāna-vidhāyana, kon pṛthak kari pāyata
ko saba tyaji, bhaji’ vṛndāvana, ko saba grantha viracita
jaba pitu vana-phula, phalata nānā-vidha, manorāji aravinda
so madhukara vinu, pāna kon jānata, vidyamāna kari bandha
ko jānata, mathurā vṛndāvana, ko jānata vraja-nīta
ko jānata, rādhā-mādhava-rati, ko jānata soi prīta
jākara caraṇe, prasāde sakala jana, gāi gāoyāi sukha pāota
caraṇa-kamale, śaraṇāgata mādho, tava mahimā ura lāgata
1) If Rupa Gosvami had not appeared in Kali-yuga, who would have opened the great store-house of vraja-prema and distributed its contents freely?
2) Just as a swan separates milk from water, who could have separated the rasas to taste them? Abandoning everything, he performed bhajana in Vrndavana and wrote his rasika literatures.
3) When the yellow forest flowers blossom and fruits ripen, he lived like a bee taking the nectar from lotuses – who could have understood the nectar he was collecting?
4) Who could have understood Krsna’s lilas in Mathura and Vrndavana? How could we have known the sweet vraja-lilas and the love between Radha-Madhava?
5) By the mercy of his lotus feet, all can sing about and attain such divine bliss. The surrendered Madhava dasa is always praying to embrace Rupa’s glories.
mānasa, deho, geho, jo kichu mor
arpilū tuwā pade, nanda-kiśor!
sampade vipade, jīvane-maraṇe
dāy mama gelā, tuwā o-pada baraṇe
mārobi rākhobi-jo icchā tohārā
nitya-dāsa prati tuwā adhikārā
janmāobi moe icchā jadi tor
bhakta-gṛhe jani janma hau mor
kīṭa-janma hau jathā tuwā dās
bahir-mukha brahma janme nāhi āś
bhukti-mukti-spṛhā vihīna je bhakta
labhaite tāko sańga anurakta
janaka, jananī, dayita, tanay
prabhu, guru, pati-tuhū sarva-moy
bhakativinoda kohe, śuno kāna!
rādhā-nātha! tuhū hāmāra parāṇa
............. Meaning ..............
1) Mind, body, and family, whatever may be mine, I have surrendered at Your lotus feet, O youthful son of Nanda!
2) In good fortune or in bad, in life or at death, all my difficulties
have disappeared by choosing those feet of Yours as my only shelter.
3) Slay me or protect me as You wish, for You are the master of Your eternal servant.
4) If it is Your will that I be born again, then may it be in the home of Your devotee.
5) May I be born again even as a worm, so long as I may remain Your devotee. I have no desire to be born as a Brahma averse to You.
6) I yearn for the company of that devotee who is completely devoid of all desire for worldly enjoyment or liberation.
7) Father, mother, lover, son, Lord, preceptor, and husband; You are everything to me.
8) Thakura Bhaktivinoda says, "O Kana, please hear me! O Lord of Radha, You are my life and soul!"
jetane pālana kori
kṛṣṇa-vasati, vasati boli',
parama ādare bori
gaur āmāra, je-saba sthāne,
koralo bhramaṇa rańge
se-saba sthāna, heribo āmi,
mṛdańga-bādya, śunite mana,
abasara sadā jāce
gaura-bihita, kīrtana śuni',
ānande hṛdoya nāce
jugala-mūrti, dekhiyā mora,
prasāda-sebā korite hoya,
sakala prapañca jaya
je-dina gṛhe, bhajana dekhi,
gṛhete goloka bhāya
caraṇa-sīdhu, dekhiyā gańgā,
sukha sā sīmā pāya
tulasī dekhi', jurāya prāṇa,
jīvana sārthaka māni
anakūla pāya jāhā
swīkāra koroye tāhā
1) The dust of the lotus feet of pure devotees, enthusiastic devotional service, and service to the pure devotees of the highest order are the roots of the creeper of devotion.
2) The holy days like Ekadasi and Janmastami are the mother of devotion for those devotees who respect them. Let the holy places of Krsna's pastimes be my places of worship, and bless me.
3) May I always visit all the holy places associated with the lila of Lord Caitanya and His devotees.
4) When I hear the sound of the mrdanga in my heart I always desire to join in kirtana; and when I hear the bonafide songs describing Lord Caitanya's pastimes, my heart dances in ecstasy.
5) Whenever I see the transcendental sri-vigrahas of Radha-Krsna I am in bliss, for by taking Their Lordships' prasada we can conquer over the material elements.
6) One day while performing devotional practices, I saw my house transformed into Goloka Vrndavana. When I take the caranamrta of the Deity, I see the holy Ganges waters that come from the feet of Lord Visnu, and my bliss knows no bounds.
7) By seeing the tulasi tree my heart feels joy and Lord Madhava (Krsna) is also satisfied. When I eat the prasada favored by Lord Caitanya it is a new life's experience.
8) Bhaktivinoda concludes by saying: "Whosoever attains the stage of enthusiasm for these devotional practices will be supremely blissful wherever he may be."
ki rūpe pāibo sevā mui durācāra
śrī guru vaiṣṇave rati nā hoilo āmāra
aśeṣa māyāte mana magana hoilo
vaiṣṇavete leśa mātra rati nā janmilo
viṣaye bhuliyā andha hoinu divā-niśi
gale phāńsa dite phire māyā se piśācī
ihāre koriyā jaya chāḍāno nā yāya
sādhu kṛpā vinā āra nāhiko upāya
adoṣa-daraśi prabhu! patita uddhāra
ei bāra narottame koroho nistāra
How can an ill-behaved person like me attain devotional service? I have no loving attachment to Sri Guru and Vaisnavas.
My mind is endlessly absorbed in maya, and I don't even have the slightest loving attachment to the Vaisnavas.
I have been blinded due to being absorbed in sense gratification day and night and the witch named maya repeatedly hangs a noose around my neck.
There is no way to defeat her or give her up unless I attain the mercy of the saints. O Vaisnava! O master!
You do not look for faults, but you simply redeem the fallen! This time redeem this Narottama!"
kali-kukkura kadana yadi cāo (he)
kali-yuga pāvana, kali-bhaya-nāśana,
śrī śacī-nandana gāo (he) .. (Kali)
gadādhara-mādana, nitā’yera prāṇa-dhana,
advaitera prapūjita gorā
nimāñi viśvambhara, śrīnivāsa-īśvara,
mādhava rādhābhāva-pūra .. (Kali)
śuddha bhakta-pālana, śuṣka-jñāna-tāḍana,
chala-bhakti-dūṣaṇa rāma .. (Kali)
1) If you want to be rid of the influence of the dog-like personality of kali, then just sing the glories of the beautiful Son of Mother Saci. He is the Savior of the kali-yuga, and He is the destroyer of all fear caused by the age of quarrel.
2) He maddens Sri Gadhadara with His name, He is the treasure of the life of Sri Nityananda Prabhu, and He is the most worshipable object of Sri Advaita Acarya. He is affectionately named Nimai by His mother, due to being born under a Nim tree, and He has been named Visvambhara by His grandfather. He is the only Lord of Sri Srivasa, and He steals the hearts of all the assembled devotees.
3) Lord Caitanya is the moon over Nadia, the Lord of Sri Mayapura-dhama, and the divine propagator of His own name. He is the instructor of family men, and He is also the hero of those who are in the renounced order. He is the husband of the Goddess of Fortune, and He is over-flowing with the ecstatic moods and sentiments of Srimati Radharani.
4) Lord Caitanya is the corrector and purifier of Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya, and the deliverer of King Prataparudra, the source of nourishment of Srila Ramananda Raya, and He is a great hero. He increases the ecstasy of Srila Rupa Gosvami, He is the maintainer and protector of Srila Sanatana Gosvami, He gladdens Haridasa Thakura and He is very grave.
5) Lord Caitanya is the source of all the transcendental mellows of Vraja-dhama, He is the destroyer of all mischievous and wicked mentality, and He dissolves the mundane lust of the deceitful insincere souls by His causeless mercy. He maintains and protects His pure Vaisnava devotees, and He chastises dry speculative knowledge. He destroys pretentious and hypocritical devotion , and He is the reservoir of pleasure.
ohe, premera ṭhākura gorā
prāṇera yātanā kivā kaba, nātha! hayechi āpana-hārā
ki āra baliba, je-kājera tore
enechile, nātha! jagate āmāre,
eta-dina pare kahite se kathā, khede duḥkhe hai sārā
tomāra bhajane nā janmila rati,
jaḍa-mohe matta sadā duramati –
viṣayīra kāche theke theke āmi hainu viṣayī-pārā
ke āmi, kena je esechi ekhāne,
se-kathā kakhana nāhi bhāvi mane,
kakhana bhogera, kakhana tyāgera chalanāya mana nāce
ki gati haibe kakhana bhāvi nā,
hari-bhakatera kācheo jāi nā,
hari-vimukhera ku-lakṣaṇa jata āmātei saba ache
śrī-guru-kṛpāya bheńgeche svapana,
bujhechi ekhana tumi-i āpana,
tava nija-jana parama-bāndhava saḿsāra kārāgāre
āna nā bhajiba bhakta-pada vinu,
rātula-caraṇe śaraṇa loinu,
uddhāraho nātha! māyā-jāla ha’te e dāsera keśe dho’re
pātakīre tumi kṛpā kara nāki?
jagāi-mādhāi chila je pātakī,
tāhāte jenechi, premera ṭhākura! pātakīreo tāra tumi
āmi bhakti-hīna, dīna, akiñcana –
aparādhī-śire dāo du’ caraṇa,
tomāra abhaya śrī caraṇe cira – śaraṇa lainu āmi
1) O Sri Gaurasundara, worshipable Lord of prema! O my master! What will I tell You of my sorrows and sufferings? I have forgotten my original identity.
2) O my Lord, what more can I say? After enduring many wounds inflicted from my difficulties, then many days later I remembered the reason for which You gave me birth in this world.
3) O Lord! I’m so unfortunate that I had no attachment for worshiping You but was always evil-minded and mad for material enjoyment. Living with sense enjoyers, I became like them.
4) Who am I? Why am I in this world? These questions I never pondered. Sometimes enjoying, sometimes renouncing – my mind was dancing in this cheating.
5) I never considered what would be my outcome. I never associated with Krsna’s devotees, and I exhibited all bad signs of being opposed to Bhagavan.
6) Now, by Sri Guru’s grace my eyes have been opened and my dream has been broken. I now understand that I have only You and that Your beloved devotees are my greatest friends in the prison house of this material world.
7) Now I worship Your devotees exclusively and will serve no one else. O Natha! Now I have taken shelter of Your lotus feet, which are like red lotuses. Pulling me by the hair, please deliver me from Maya’s net.
8) Do You not bestow Your mercy on the sinners? Were not Jagai and Madhai also fallen? Yet You gave them Your mercy. From this I can understand that You are the Lord of prema and the deliverer of the fallen.
9) O Prabhu, I am devoid of bhakti, wretched, and destitute. Put Your feet that grant fearlessness on the head of this offender. I take shelter of Your divine feet.
āmāra jīvana, sadā pāpe rata,
nāhiko punyera leṣa
parere udvega, diyāchi je koto,
diyāchi jīvere kleśa
nija sukha lāgi’, pāpe nāhi ḍori,
para-sukhe duḥkhī, sadā mithya-bhāṣī,
aśeṣa kāmanā, hṛdi mājhe mora,
mada-matta sadā, viṣaye mohita,
nidrālasya hata, sukārye virata,
akārye udyogī āmi
pratiṣṭha lāgiyā, śāṭhya-ācaraṇa,
lobha-hata sadā kāmī
e heno durjana, saj-jana-varjita,
nānā duḥkhe jara jara
bārdhakye ekhona, upāya-vihīna,
tā’te dīna akiñcana
bhakativinoda, prabhura caraṇe,
kore duḥkha nivedana
1) I am an impious sinner and have caused others great anxiety and trouble.
2) I have never hesitated to perform sinful act for my own enjoyment. Devoid of all compassion, concerned only with my own selfish interests, I am remorseful seeing others happy. I am a perpetual liar, and the misery of others is a source of great pleasure for me.
3) The material desires within the core of my heart are unlimited. I am wrathful, devoted to false pride and arrogance, intoxicated by vanity, and bewildered by worldly affairs. Envy and egotism are the ornaments I wear.
4) Ruined by laziness and sleep, I resist all pious deeds; yet I am very active and enthusiastic to perform wicked acts. For worldly fame and reputation I engage in the practice of deceitfulness. Thus I am destroyed by my own greed and am always lustful.
5) A vile, wicked man such as this, rejected by godly people, is a constant offender. I am such a person, devoid of all good works, forever inclined toward evil, worn out and wasted by various miseries.
6) Now in old age, deprived of all means of success, humbled and poor, Bhaktivinoda submits his tale of grief at the feet of the Supreme Lord.